Rewarding Entrepreneurial Spirits
The Kauffman Foundation recently recognized a number of individuals for their contributions to research on entrepreneurship.
Ewing Marion Kauffman Prize Medal for Distinguished Research in Entrepreneurship
The Kauffman Prize Medal, which includes a $50,000 prize, is awarded every two years to one scholar under the age forty whose research has made a significant contribution to entrepreneurship.
Antoinette Schoar, the 2009 recipient, is the Michael M. Koerner Associate Professor of Entrepreneurial Finance at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Sloan School of Management. An expert in corporate finance, entrepreneurship, and organizational economics, Schoar researches venture capital, entrepreneurial finance, corporate diversification, governance, and capital budgeting decisions in firms.
Kauffman Junior Faculty Fellowship in Entrepreneurship Research
The inaugural Kauffman Junior Faculty Fellowship in Entrepreneurship Research recognizes five junior faculty members whose research will contribute to the body of literature in entrepreneurship. The $50,000 fellowships will be awarded to each university to support the research activities of the Fellow.
2009 Kauffman Junior Faculty Fellows:
- Aaron K. Chatterji, Duke University
- Waverly W. Ding, University of California, Berkeley
- Gerson Dushnitsky, University of Pennsylvania
- Jon Eckhardt, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Andrew J. Nelson, University of Oregon
Note: Nominations for 2009-2010 are being accepted until March 9. Nominate someone now
.Kauffman Dissertation Fellowship Program
The Kauffman Dissertation Fellowship Program recognizes fifteen exceptional doctoral students and their universities. Fifteen $20,000 fellowships will be awarded to the students to support their dissertation research in the area of entrepreneurship. Including the current class of Fellows, 93 awards have been made since the program was created in 2002.
2009 Dissertation Fellowship Recipients:
- Javed I. Ahmed, University of California, Berkeley
- Nachiket Bhawe, University of Minnesota
- Meg Blume-Kohout, Pardee RAND Graduate School
- Ian Michael Breunig, Colorado State University
- Gharad Bryan, Yale University
- Emily Cox, Stanford University
- Martin Ganco, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Deepak Hegde, University of California, Berkeley
- Shon R. Hiatt, Cornell University
- Mingfeng Lin, University of Maryland
- Kathleen Marker, University of California, San Diego
- Jason M. O’Connor, Northwestern University
- Lori Santikian, Harvard University
- Edward Smith, University of Chicago
- Margarita Tsoutsoura, Columbia University